What situations may arise that require me to consider root canal services near me?
Root canal therapy is a service provided by our team at Harvest Hills Dental Care of Newmarket, Ontario, for those who are faced with damage to the dental pulp within the tooth. This mass of tissues houses the nerves and the blood supply that keep the tooth alive. In some situations that arise, removing the dental pulp and sealing the tooth may keep a patient from requiring permanent extraction. But when do I need root canal therapy? Let’s dive in and talk about the dental situations that can occur.
What situations warrant root canal services?
Some of the following issues may indicate the need for specific dental procedures, such as root canal therapy:
- Severe toothache. A persistent or intense toothache can indicate an infection deep inside the tooth. This could require root canal therapy to remove the infected tissue and relieve the pain.
- Sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures. If you experience sudden sensitivity when consuming hot or cold drinks, it could mean that the pulp inside your tooth is damaged or infected. Root canal therapy is used to address this issue if no cavity needs to be treated with a dental filling.
- Discolouration of the tooth. If a tooth appears discoloured or darkened, it could indicate damaged pulp. Root canal therapy might be necessary in many cases to prevent further discolouration and restore its appearance.
- Trauma to the natural tooth. Root canal therapy might be required to repair the damage and prevent potential infections if a tooth has been significantly damaged or injured due to an accident or injury.
- Abscess. An abscess is a pocket of infection that might form at the root of a natural tooth. If the abscess is left untreated, it can lead to severe pain and other complications. Root canal therapy, otherwise referred to by our team as endodontic treatment, may be necessary to remove the bacterial infection and prevent further damage.
- Deep decay or cavities. When tooth decay, or cavities, reaches the pulp of a tooth, it can cause significant discomfort and damage–including increasing one’s risk of infection. Treating with root canal therapy is often recommended in this situation if a dental filling is not enough.
Schedule an appointment with our Harvest Hills Dental Care team today to learn more about root canal services “near me!”
Share this Article:
Back to Root Canal Treatment Page