Gentle root canal services at East Gwillimbury dental center
If you mention the phrase “root canal” to friends or family, you’ll likely hear some groans in response due to the misconception that root canal therapy is painful and time-consuming. In reality, root canal therapy is a pain-relieving procedure that is gentle and painless with the use of modern dental anesthetics. The procedure also helps save your natural tooth from the costly and time-consuming process of extracting and replacing it with a false tooth. At Harvest Hills Dental Care in East Gwillimbury, ON, we provide gentle root canal services so you can get out of pain and back to your normal life — without the need for a tooth extraction.
Why a root canal might be needed
The “root canal” portion of the tooth is the space within the root of a tooth that contains dental pulp, nerves, and blood vessels. The canals extend through the root of the teeth and can also branch off in several directions. When a tooth has become severely decayed, injured, or infected, it can cause intense pain in the tooth and severely compromise your oral health if the tooth is not treated with root canal therapy or extracted.
How root canal therapy works
Root canal therapy consists of several steps, but from a patient’s perspective in the dental chair, it doesn’t seem that different from receiving a simple dental filling when performed by our experienced dental team.
- First, we numb the area with effective anesthetics, so you are pain-free and comfortable throughout the procedure.
- Then, we drill a small hole in the tooth to access the inner pulp chamber.
- We remove the contents of the pulp chamber, including the pain-sensing nerve, and sanitize the area to remove any infection-causing bacteria.
- We fill the inside of the tooth with a material called gutta percha to help preserve its structure.
- Finally, we place a dental crown on top of the tooth to seal and protect it from future damage.
Root canal therapy is very effective and can last the rest of your life with good oral hygiene and regular dental care. If you are in pain, we are here to help! Call Harvest Hills Dental Care in East Gwillimbury today at (365) 659-1008 or request your appointment online.
Share this Article:
Back to Root Canal Treatment Page