Four things to know about Dental Crowns before getting one placed
Over the course of your lifetime, your dentist may recommend that you have a dental crown placed. These custom-made restorations are very common, second only to dental fillings because they are incredibly versatile and can be used in many different scenarios to repair, restore, and improve the appearance of your teeth.
At Harvest Hills Dental Care near Newmarket, Ontario, we provide custom-made dental crowns that closely resemble a natural tooth in their appearance and feel and function like one. Read on for four things you should know about dental crowns before getting one placed.
1. There are many reasons a dentist might recommend one
Dental crowns are often the restoration of choice in the following circumstances:
- A tooth that has been treated with a root canal
- Deep cracks or fractures in a tooth
- Cosmetic imperfections, such as oddly shaped teeth
- A tooth that has become very worn down due to grinding and clenching
- A tooth that has become weakened due to multiple dental treatments over time
- To hold a dental bridge in place
2. Modern dental crowns look like natural teeth
At Harvest Hills Dental Care, we offer multiple options for dental crown materials. But porcelain is the most popular because it has the same lustre and translucency as natural teeth, enabling your new crown to blend in seamlessly with your smile.
3. Getting a dental crown placed is relatively quick and easy
We can place your customized dental crown in just two visits. We prepare your tooth for the crown, take dental impressions, and place a temporary crown on your first visit. Your permanent crown is then fabricated in a laboratory based on our specifications, and when it is ready, you come back into the office to have it bonded onto your tooth.
Request an Appointment
4. Dental crowns don’t require any special care beyond routine dental hygiene
After your dental crown is placed, you can treat it just like a normal tooth. In fact, you shouldn’t notice it in your mouth at all! With daily brushing and flossing and routine dental checkups, your dental crown can last up to 15 years or even longer.
At Harvest Hills Dental Care, we are committed to helping our patients achieve healthy smiles that look as great as they feel. To schedule an appointment at our East Gwillimbury office, call (365) 659-1008 today!
Share this Article:
Back to Crown and Bridges Page